Magnificent Rainbow Around the Sun


When I went out for lunch today, everybody on the streets is watching something on the sky. Some people were even taking pictures. Out of curiosity, I asked an officemate, who was then busy adjusting his camera. He told me to look at the sun. And, there it was, a magnificent rainbow around the sun!


I hurriedly took my camera and captured this bizarre phenomenon. I have seen this occurrence when I was still in high school, but I'm still enchanted like a little kid.


Some people say the rainbow was formed because of the sun's reflection on the clouds, others connect this to global warming, and some superstitious people believe this would bring something ... uncertain.

Scientifically speaking, this is called a sun dog. According to the wikipedia, "A sun dog or sundog (scientific name parhelion, plural parhelia, from Greek parēlion, "beside the sun"; also called a mock sun) is an atmospheric phenomenon that creates bright spots of light in the sky, often on a luminous ring or halo on either side of the sun. (formed by ice crystals)"

Comments

  1. That's pretty neat! I'd be outside and taking loads of pictures of this phenomenon! (It's too hot to go outside most days though. LOL!)

    Great capture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's REALLY hot. Those pics were the best I had. I did not have one complete figure of the ring. I only estimated my camera to the position of the sun, then clicked and clicked not seeing the object I'm shooting, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didn't get to see this. dang. i was sulking in the office, didn't know that there was a pretty sight waiting for me outside that lovely noon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at the ufo in the picture exiting the earth ppl!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tingko Beach, Alcoy, Cebu, Philippines

Once a Cheater, Always a Cheater?

Tingko Beach Alcoy - Revisited