MVP on Pregnancy

I had a very busy Saturday. There were so many household chores to do because our house help was on leave. I was washing our clothes when my baby cried, a sign that he was already hungry. I carried him and put him on my lap. He was staring at me while greedily drinking his milk. I could not help but reminisce the times when he was still inside my womb.

On my first trimester, I not only had morning sickness but all-day sickness as well (do you know an alternative term for this?). I love to eat and eat only to vomit later on. Eating crackers before going up from bed minimized my morning sickness; and eating a little from time to time and eating light meals, in some way, relieved me from vomiting. However, the evening is another story. I have no control over my stomach. It would have its own mind and would push my dinner out from my system!

On my second trimester, I was starting to become comfortable with my pregnancy. I do not vomit anymore. I could eat all the food that I love - even chocolate and ice cream! Hmmm, what a yummy treats! Then on my fifth month, my OB-Gyne detected a possible heart problem. I had my ECG and the result showed an abnormal heartbeat. She advised me to consult a cardiologist to check my condition. I went through a test called two- dimensional (2-D) Echo or echocardiogram and found to have a "mild" Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP), a valvular heart disease characterized by the displacement of an abnormally thickened mitral valve leaflet into the left atrium during systole. My cardiologist told me not to worry because it would bring no complications on my pregnancy and I could still give birth through normal delivery. She did not prescribe any medications but advised me to eat foods rich in potassium such as banana.

On my last trimester, I gained a lot of weight but still within the normal weight gain range. I ate double my normal food servings but gradually decreased my food intake on my eighth month for fear that my baby would become so big I would have a hard time giving birth. I had my prenatal check-up on July 1, my expected date of delivery was July 10 but I was already 3 cm dilated and my OB-Gyne told me that I could give birth anytime. Rather than waiting for the labor to onset, she advised me to have an induced normal delivery. This was my first time to have an induced delivery. On the labor room, my cardiologist and OB-Gyne closely monitored my vital signs; and the anesthesiologist was ready if ever I could not bear the pain during labor and would decide for painless delivery. Thankfully, my labor was short, the pain was bearable, and I could have a normal "painful" delivery. I stayed almost half an hour in the delivery room. Being a third-time mother did not make me better in the delivery room. I still did not learn the art of giving birth. What a shame! LOL

Finally, I have given birth to a healthy baby boy. He was only six pounds, unlike his siblings who were 7.8 and 7.9 pounds. My heart condition was stable and there were no complications. Thanks God!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tingko Beach, Alcoy, Cebu, Philippines

Once a Cheater, Always a Cheater?

Tingko Beach Alcoy - Revisited